3 women share the best life advice they’ve ever received


Whether we got them from a friend, relative, colleague or even our favourite book or film, we all have those words of wisdom that have seen us through some of our hardest times – and one of the greatest joys in life is passing them on.

So we asked a group of women for the most uplifting, liberating advice that’s stuck with them over the years, on subjects ranging from health and wellness to work and friendship – and we suspect their responses might end up sticking with you too.

‘No one is going to blow your trumpet for you’

Following this advice has meant I’ve become a much better advocate for myself, particularly when it comes to my career. I’ve won awards, got pay rises and climbed the ladder a lot more quickly than others who maybe hold back for fear of coming across as arrogant or ambitious. - Eleanor, London

      ‘Friends should be radiators, not drains’

      My mum always said this to me when I was growing up, and it’s so true. I always reflect on it if I’m not being treated well, or if a friendship is becoming a one-way street. It’s helped me to know my worth and focus on what’s important, and the friendships I do have are much stronger as a result. - Hana, Kent

      ‘Learn to embrace change’

      Having therapy and life coaching reminded me that change is inevitable, and that I need to start seeing it as a good thing. Similar to the seasons, there is a constant flux of change and going against it goes against the natural cycle and flow of the way we work. This message helps me to get out of my comfort zone and try to challenge myself, even if at first it may feel uncomfortable. - Remina, London

      ‘Look after your eyes!’

      I spent my 20s and 30s not really thinking much about my eyesight, but as I turned 40, I noticed my vision getting blurry, especially when reading or on my phone – which I now realise can be a symptom of presbyopia, because I also know a lot of people of a similar age who have found the same thing! My stepmum sat me down, told me to book an eye test and really stressed the importance of looking after my eyes properly as I get older. Her advice stayed with me and I never skip an optician’s appointment now. - Lucy, Chester

          ‘Ask forgiveness, not permission’

          The best piece of advice I ever received was actually from me, to me. I was working on launching a Lunar New Year celebration in my office, and I wasn’t getting a straight answer on whether I could expense some decorations or hang them up in our lobby. It was important to me to mark the occasion, so I just went for it and have never looked back since. Asking forgiveness, rather than permission, is a much quicker way to get things done and is something I’ve applied to all of my career decisions moving forward. - Isabella, London

            

          Post a Comment

          0 Comments